Voter identification at polling stations

It is a legal requirement for voters to show photographic identification at polling stations before they are given a ballot paper.

Voter Authority Certificates

If you don’t already have any of the accepted forms of photographic identification (listed below), you will be able to apply, either by post or online, for a Voter Authority Certificate - a free photographic identification document specific for the purposes of voting.

Applications for Voter Authority Certificates are now open. You can apply on the Government website.

For more information on Voter Authority Certificates, visit the Electoral Commission website.

If you don't have access to a computer, you can fill out a paper form and return it to us. To request a form, or get help with applying for the certificate, please email or call 01442 228000 and ask for "Electoral Services".

If you apply online and your Voter Authority Certificate has not arrived after 10 working days, please get in touch using the contact details above..

Acceptable forms of photographic identification

  • A passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • A driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state
  • A biometric immigration document
  • An identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • A Blue Badge
  • A national identity card issued by an EEA state
  • An Older Person’s Bus Pass
  • A Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
  • An Oyster 60+ card
  • A Freedom Pass
  • A Scottish National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland
  • A 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
  • A Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
  • A Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • A Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • A War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • A 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • A Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • An Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland
  • A Voter Authority Certificate or a temporary Voter Authority Certificate (see above).

Expired photographic identification

If your photographic identification document has expired, it will still be accepted as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of you.

Postal and proxy voting

You will not need to provide photo ID to vote by post. Postal voters will be issued with their postal ballot papers as usual.

If you choose to vote by proxy, then the person who you have trusted to vote on your behalf will have to take their own identification to be issued with a ballot paper. Alternatively, if you decide on polling day to vote yourself and not use the proxy you have appointed (as long as they have not already voted for you) then you will need show ID.

Page Last Updated: Wednesday, 03 January 2024 at 02:34 PM