How to become a councillor

51 councillors sit on Dacorum Borough Council. As a councillor, you will be responsible for representing your local community, and making decisions about the services we provide. Councillors are generally elected for four-year terms. 

Who can become a councillor? 

You can become a councillor if you are:

  • over 18;
  • on the electoral register; and,
  • you have lived, worked or owned property in the area for at least the past 12 months.

For more information about who can become a councillor, please see our electoral nominations page.

Borough, parish or county councillor?

As a resident of Dacorum, there are three types of council that you can be elected to: Dacorum Borough Council, Hertfordshire County Council or one of the town and parish councils.

Dacorum Borough Council

We are responsible for services such as housing, rubbish and recycling, planning, licensing, running elections and collecting Council Tax. 

Hertfordshire County Council

You can also become a Hertfordshire county councillor. Their responsibilities include education, social services, highways and transportation, trading standards, libraries and fire and rescue.

For more information about becoming a county councillor, please see Hertfordshire County Council’s website.

For information about your existing county councillors, please go to our county councillors page.

Town and parish councils

In Dacorum, there are two town councils and 14 parish councils. They are made up of elected or co-opted councillors and may run some local amenities such as allotments, playing fields and village halls. They are also asked for their opinion on planning applications or on any issue which might have an impact on the parish.

If you are interested in becoming a town or parish councillor, please contact your local clerk.

What do I do next?

If you are interested in becoming a councillor, go to our electoral nominations page for information on how to get started.

Further information

Email: or 
Telephone: 01442 228000 and ask for "Electoral Services"

Page Last Updated: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:00 PM