Private tenants

Rights and responsibilities

As a private tenant, it is important you know your rights and responsibilities. You should also be aware of the housing options available.

You will usually be responsible for paying the Council Tax on the property (unless it is a House in Multiple Occupation). You may also be eligible for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, even if you live in a private home. Find out more about benefits.

How to Rent

The Government's How to Rent guidance provides a checklist for tenants in privately rented accommodation and people looking to rent in the private sector.

Landlord’s responsibilities 

Landlords are responsible for the condition and safety of the property. 

If they are not meeting these responsibilities then you have the right to report it to us. The most frequent concerns we help tenants with include:

  • Failure to carry out repairs
  • Overcrowding
  • Substandard living conditions
  • Property safety, such as gas, electric and fire

We are happy to discuss concerns. You can find our contact details below.

Damp and mould

Our  damp, mould and condensation page provides guidance as well information on how we have reviewed our processes.

Money advice

If you're renting privately and are having trouble paying your rent, please see our Money Advice page for help on managing your money. 

Strategies and policies

For more information, please read our:

Private Sector Housing newsletter

Sign up to receive information about the Private Rented Sector.

Sign up for email updates

More information

For more information, please email or call 01442 228000 and ask for Private Sector Housing.

There is further guidance on renting in the private sector on the Citizens Advice and Shelter websites.

warning signUK Parliamentary general election - Thursday 4 July: Find out how you can vote and what you need to bring with you. More information on our elections and voting pages.   ×

Page Last Updated: Thursday, 11 April 2024 at 10:03 AM