Private landlords and managing agents 

As a landlord or managing agent it's important you know your rights and responsibilities. You can find a breakdown of a landlord's responsibilities on the Government website.

Safety responsibilities 

As a private landlord you are responsible for the property's condition and safety.

Gas safety

Make sure gas equipment is installed, maintained, and annually checked by a Gas Safe-registered engineer.

Electrical safety

The Government's Guide for landlords: electrical safety standards in the private rented sector outlines your obligations.

Fire safety 

Please see the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health’s guidance on fire safety for various types of housing.  This includes single household properties and Houses in Multiple Occupation. 

Property condition and repairs

All privately rented properties must be free from significant hazards. The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) helps us evaluate and rate risks.

Please see the Government's Housing Health and Safety Rating System Guidance for Landlords and Property Related Professionals.

Private sector housing enforcement

We're dedicated to making sure privately rented homes are safe and well managed. Most landlords follow the rules, but some knowingly rent out dangerous properties, putting tenants at risk.

Enforcement action is determined on a case by case basis. Our  Private Sector Housing Enforcement Policy (PDF 264KB) tells you what you can expect from our officers carrying out enforcement. Please also see our  Private Sector Housing Civil Penalty Policy (PDF 224KB).

We charge for any enforcement notices. For 2024-2025 the cost is £342 (fixed charge per person).

Landlords' Forum 

This is a great opportunity for Dacorum’s landlords to network with our teams and other landlords. For more news on the forum, as well as other news about the private rented sector, sign up to our newsletter below.

Private Sector Housing newsletter

Sign up to receive information about the Private Rented Sector.

Sign up for email updates

More information

Our  Regulators' Statement (PDF 712KB) outlines how we apply the requirements of the Regulators' Code in practice and how we engage with private sector landlords, tenants and partners.

The  Private Sector Housing Strategy 2020-2024 (PDF 901KB) details our approach to regulating the private sector to ensure all Dacorum residents live in homes that are safe and meet the required standards.


Page Last Updated: Wednesday, 10 April 2024 at 03:46 PM