Home Upgrade Grant: Phase 2 (HUG2)
The Home Upgrade Grant (HUG2) is a new Government grant scheme. It funds energy-saving upgrades for residents with off-gas heating systems, such as oil, coal, Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), biomass (wood), electric only or with no heating installed. These residents are most likely to be impacted by expensive energy bills.
See if you qualify
To qualify, you must be a homeowner or private tenant and meet both of the following criteria:
- live in a home not heated by mains gas (including oil, coal, LPG or electric only heating)
- live in a hard to heat home - this is based on your home Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). You will be helped with this part of the assessment.
You must also meet one of the following income criteria:
- live in a household with a combined annual income of less than £31,000
- receive certain income-related means-tested benefits such as Universal Credit
- living in a pre-qualified postcode area (Index of Multiple Deprivation - Income Deciles 1-3). You will be informed if this applies to your home.
Landlords with four or fewer properties can apply. They must contribute at least one third of the upgrade cost, in addition to the funding provided. This will be agreed before work begins.
Types of improvements
You may be offered energy-saving improvements to help cut your energy bills and reduce your carbon emissions. These could include:
- Insulation and ventilation upgrades (to keep you warm in winter and cool in summer).
- A low-carbon heating system, such as an air source heat pump. (This will mean upgrading any existing heating system.)
- Heating controls which make sure you only use heat when you need it.
- An energy-efficient hot water solution to keep your water warm for longer.
- Solar panels (PV) to generate electricity.
- Energy-efficient lighting which is cheaper to run.
A survey will be carried out to identify what is suitable for your home.
How to apply
HUG2 funding is now open to private tenants, landlords and homeowners and will be available until March 2025.
You can apply online:
Apply now for HUG2
You can also apply by calling the Energy Saving Trust on 0808 196 8255.