Street trading

To sell any goods or items in a street, car park or other area which is open to the public, you will need to be authorised by us.

Street trading is regulated under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982. Almost every street in Dacorum is a ‘consent street’, meaning that you will need permission from us to trade there.

Trading in a consent street without our consent, or in a prohibited street, is a criminal offence, and if convicted you could be fined up to £1,000 per offence.

Prohibited streets

There are a few streets in Dacorum where we have prohibited street trading entirely. These include:

  • The A4251 through Kings Langley, Apsley, Boxmoor and Berkhamsted (the old A41) – except on Berkhamsted High Street and Gossoms End between the junctions with Swing Gate Lane and Billet Lane
  • The A41 around Tring
  • Leighton Buzzard Road in Hemel Hempstead, Piccotts End and Water End
  • Redbourn Road in Hemel Hempstead
  • Breakspear Way and St Albans Road, in Hemel Hempstead
  • Link Road in Hemel Hempstead

The A41, from the junction with the M25 to the Buckinghamshire border, is designated as a clearway and street trading is not permitted anywhere along its length.

All other streets in Dacorum, except for those owned by the former British Railways Board (generally on railway station land), have been designated as consent streets.

Applying for consent

To apply for street trading consent, please complete our online application form:

Apply online for street trading consent (via GOV.UK)

We strongly advise that you read our guidance notes for street traders before making an application, which will help you to identify a suitable trading location. We do not maintain a list of pre-identified pitches for street traders.

 Street trading - advice for applicants (PDF 589KB)

Details of our current application fees for street trading consents can be found on our Licensing fees and charges page.

On receipt of an application for street trading consent, we will consider your proposal, including the location at which you intend to trade and the goods you intend to sell.

We will also consult with local bodies who may be affected by your proposals, including the police, the highways authority, environmental health officers, and local town or parish councils. We have wide discretion in what we can take into account when considering applications for street trading consent, which may include crime or disorder in the vicinity, nuisance caused to nearby residents or businesses, obstruction of highways, and whether we have already granted consent for other traders in the same area.

Generally, if we have concerns about your proposals, we will contact you first to discuss these and see if we can reach a solution. However, in some circumstances where a solution cannot be found, your application may be referred to our Licensing Sub-Committee, to be considered for possible refusal.

If we are satisfied that your application will not lead to any issues (and for renewal applications, that there have been no issues during your last consent period), then we will grant a consent. This will be subject to a number of conditions, restricting the locations and times at which you can trade, and other things you will be expected to do.

Consents will be issued for a maximum of 12 months. You will need to apply to renew the consent before it expires, otherwise you will lose any rights associated with the previous consent.

If we receive complaints about traders, or witness them breaching the conditions of their consent, we may revoke consents, or amend the conditions, at any time.

Can I start trading before my application is determined?

No. It is in the public interest that we fully consider your application before you start to operate. If you have not heard from us within 40 working days of making your application, please contact us, using the contact details below.

Right of appeal

If we decide to refuse your application for street trading consent, or attach conditions to it that you are not happy with, or if we later revoke your consent, there is no statutory right of appeal against our decision.

Other information

Expand all

  • Food businesses
    If you intend to prepare and supply food or drinks as part of your business, you will also need to register as a food business.
  • Markets

    Traders who are part of an official market do not need to obtain street trading consent. For further details about our markets or for pitch enquiries, please contact:

  • Council-owned land
    Opportunities are limited on Dacorum Borough Council land, with the current ones already occupied by previously tendered contracts. To enquire about trading on Council-owned land, such as in our parks, please  email our Estates team.
  • Planning permission
    You may also need to obtain planning permission for your business, particularly if you intend to use a mobile unit or stall which will be in the same place for a prolonged period. Please see our Planning and development pages for further information.


If you have a complaint about street trading, we would advise that you talk to the trader first to see if the issue can be resolved directly. If this does not work, the Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to assist further and advise you on your rights.

We will investigate complaints about unauthorised street trading, or traders who are operating in breach of their permissions. Please contact us using the details below.

Contact us

For more information on street trading, please email or call 01442 228000 and ask for Licensing.

Page Last Updated: Friday, 23 October 2020 at 03:47 PM