Cost of living support

Find out where to get help with food, energy and other costs.

Help for Households

Get help with the cost of living on the Government’s Help for Households website. There are more than 40 different schemes available. This includes new one-off payments as well as existing benefits and schemes.

Find out more about Help for Households

Local help and support

You can get help and support from a range of local organisations in Dacorum:

Expand all

  • Business

    Hertfordshire Growth Hub

    Hertfordshire Growth Hub's Cost of Living Business Support Hub is designed to support business owners in Hertfordshire who are looking for resources on how to manage the increases to the cost of living and the impact that it may be having on your business and workforce.

    This support falls under three broad categories:

    • Boosting business resilience
    • Reducing costs by increasing the efficiency and sustainability of your business
    • Helping you maintain the wellbeing of yourself and your workforce.

    Find out more about the Cost of Living Business Support Hub.

  • Energy

    HEAT App

    Download the Hertfordshire Energy Advice Tool App to see where you can save energy and make savings at home.

    Home energy advice

    Find out about how to save energy at home and the current grants available to make your home more energy efficient. 


    Warm Spaces

    Heating our homes is more expensive than ever, so a network of Warm Spaces has been created, which people can use to stay warm during the winter months. Find out more about the Warm Spaces initiative.

  • Families

    Adventure Playgrounds

    Free open-access play provision where children can engage in a variety of free activities and use equipment they may not have access to at home (such as computers for homework or gaming). Subsidised food and refreshments are also available and 11-16 year olds can attend evening youth groups (50p per session).


    Families First

    Local advice and practical help to manage finances and make savings.


  • Food

    Dacorum Foodbank

    Run by DENS, the Foodbank is part of a nationwide network of food banks, supported by The Trussell Trust, working to combat poverty and hunger across the UK.


    Hemel Hempstead Community Fridge

    On Wednesdays and Saturdays at Highfield Community Centre  you can get good surplus food free of charge or donate food you know you won’t eat.


  • Money

    Citizens Advice Dacorum

    Offers information and support online and in person.


    Dacorum First Credit Union

    Provides people who live or work in Dacorum with a simple and affordable way to save and borrow money.


    Step2Skills Multiply

    Adult community learning and employment support service, Step2Skills, offers free workshops, either face-to-face or online, to help you confidently budget your money and make it go further. 

    The Step2Skills Multiply project is designed to help Hertfordshire residents with their finances during the cost of living crisis.


  • Other

    Dacorum Community Trust

    An independent charity that provide a range of practical support, including beds, cookers, fridges, children’s equipment, bedding and kitchen starter packs and emergency energy vouchers.


    Community Transport

    Eligible people can get help accessing medical appointments, shopping, and some social appointments.



    Allows people to borrow mobility aids and scooters when visiting The Marlowes Shopping Centre. People travelling by public transport should phone ahead, while those travelling by car should go to the disabled section of the Marlowes car park.


More information on help with the cost of living is available on the Hertfordshire County Council website.

Applying for benefits and financial help

You can check if you are eligible for benefits on the entitled to website.

If you are already receiving help to pay your rent, but are still struggling to pay your housing costs, you could apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

If you're a council tenant concerned about your rent, please speak to your housing officer (income). You can contact them by calling 01442 228000 and either asking for them by name or ask for "Housing Rent".

Visit our money advice page for more financial help. You can also see what other help is available to you based on your personal circumstances through Turn2us.

Page Last Updated: Wednesday, 04 October 2023 at 03:07 PM