Home energy efficiency

Making your home more energy efficient has a variety of benefits. It will not only help to reduce your carbon footprint, which is a crucial step in helping to tackle the climate emergency, but it could save you hundreds of pounds on your energy bills and help you to keep a warmer, happier, healthier home.

Home energy efficiency is ranked by Energy Performance Certificates (EPC ratings) from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient). EPCs are available for homes that are either rented or have been sold in the past 10 years. You can quickly look up your homes EPC rating through the Government's EPC web page.

Approximately two thirds of Dacorum’s homes are below an EPC rating of C, which means that the majority could have improvements made to make them much more energy efficient. Take a look at the Energy Saving Trust website for advice on changes you could make.

Hertfordshire Energy Advice Tool (HEAT) app

View of homescreen of the HEAT app, which asks the question Where do you want to start? and then invites the user to tap on a room to get going

We are the first council in the UK to partner with Energy Saving Trust to provide a free app to help Hertfordshire residents make energy savings.

The Hertfordshire Energy Advice Tool (HEAT) app gives a quick, virtual tour around a typical home, asking a range of questions. Based on the answers, simple, low or no-cost actions are suggested and a tailored advice report can be emailed, providing you with a summary of the potential energy and money savings.

The average saving from using the HEAT app is estimated to be £70 a year.

The HEAT app is free for Hertfordshire residents:

Download on Google Play

Download on Apple's App Store.

Quick wins for saving energy at home

The Energy Savings Trust and Uswitch have also outlined a wide range of quick and easy actions that you can take today to help make your home more energy efficient - whether it is turning your thermostat down a degree, getting LED lightbulbs or turning your appliances off at the wall rather than keeping on standby.

Our energy-saving advice leaflet also has quick tips for how you can be more energy efficient at home:  Energy Saving Leaflet (PDF 711KB).

There are a number of other ways that you can get financial help to make your home more energy efficient:

Green Homes Grants scheme

We've secured funding through the Government's Green Homes Grant scheme to help eligible residents make energy efficiency improvements to their homes. We've partnered with Warmworks to manage the arrangements so that getting your improvements is as straightforward as possible.

The funding covers the entire cost of the improvements, up to £10,000. Improvements could include:

  • Insulation - including wall, loft and underfloor.
  • Draught-proofing and ventilation - including energy-efficient doors
  • Double/triple glazed windows - only if replacing single-glazed
  • Renewable heating systems - such as air source heat pumps
  • Thermostats and heating controls
  • Solar PV panels

The repair or replacement of gas, oil and LPG boilers is not provided within this scheme.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for the grant, you must meet two main criteria:

  • Own a home in Dacorum that is currently rated as Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) D, E, F or G. You can find your homes EPC rating on the Government EPC search tool.  
  • Your total household income from employment must be less than £30,000 per year.
    • Or someone in your household receives certain income, disability, or health-related benefits.
    • Or you are of state pension age and in receipt of housing credit.
    • Or less than £20,000 after paying for mortgage and council tax. 

How to apply

If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria, and would like to receive home improvements, you can register your interest online below.

Apply for the Green Homes Grant

Alternatively, if you have any questions, you can call Warmworks directly on 0808 196 8255.

What are the next steps?

  • Step 1: After you have contacted Warmworks using the above online form or phone number, it will be in touch to confirm with you if you are eligible for the grant
  • Step 2: Warmworks will arrange for a qualified assessor to carry out an assessment of your home, at a time that is convenient for you
  • Step 3: Improvements that are suitable for your home will be recommended. You will agree with Warmworks the improvements that will be made to your home
  • Step 4: Warmworks will arrange for an approved installer to complete the work and will access the funding to pay for this on your behalf
  • Step 5: The installer carries out suitability checks and installations. Warmworks carries out an independent quality check, and an annual service where required.

Green Homes Grant funding is also available for private landlords, local authority-owned properties and social housing. However, a 33 per cent contribution from the landlord is required and the maximum funding per property is £5,000.

ECO funding

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a Government scheme to help reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty. Under ECO, energy suppliers fund the installation of energy-efficiency measures in British homes. The obligated energy suppliers work with installers to introduce certain efficiency measures into your home, such as loft or wall insulation, or heating measures.

What improvements can I get?

If you meet certain criteria, you could be eligible for low-cost or free home energy efficiency improvements, such as:

  • Boiler replacements
  • First time central heating systems
  • Loft insulation
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Under floor insulation
  • Room in roof insulation
  • External wall insulation

Am I eligible?

You may be able to receive ECO funding towards home energy efficiency if you meet certain eligibility criteria.

Expand all

  • Eligible benefits

    You may be able to receive ECO funding towards home energy efficiency if you receive one or more of the following benefits:

    • Pension Guarantee Credit
    • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Child Tax Credit
    • Universal Credit
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Personal Independence Payment
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Carer’s Allowance
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
    • War Pensions Mobility Supplement
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
    • Child Benefit with a household income below the relevant threshold:
    ECO funding benefits
    Number of childrenSingle claimantMember of a couple
    1 £18,500 £25,500
    2 £23,000 £30,000
    3 £27,500 £34,500
    4 £32,000 £39,000
  • ECO Flex eligibility

    If you have either low income and high energy costs, or low income and meet at least one of the vulnerability criteria then you can also be eligible.

    Low income definition

    Gross household disposable income under the following thresholds (after rent / mortgage and Council Tax has been paid).

    Low income definition for ECO funding
    Household composition Income threshold
    1 adult £10,230
    and 1 child£13,400
    and 2 children£16,500
    and 3 children£19,800
    and 4 or more children£23,100
    2 adults £16,720
    and 1 child£20,020
    and 2 children£23,210
    and 3 children£26,510
    and 4 or more children £29,480


    Annual combined household income - £30,000 per annum
    Minus annual mortgage expenditure £11,400 (at £950 per month times 12)
    Minus annual Council Tax expenditure £1,770 (as per Council Tax statement)
    Remaining household income - £16,830

    High energy costs

    Property with at least one of:

    • 100mm or less loft insulation
    • Unfilled cavity walls
    • Uninsulated non-cavity wall
    • No working central heating

    Vulnerability criteria

    A health condition made worse by the cold:

    • People with cardiovascular conditions
    • People with respiratory conditions (in particular chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and childhood asthma)
    • People with mental health conditions
    • People with disabilities
    • People who are terminally ill
    • People with autoimmune and immunodeficiency diseases (for example - lupus, cancer treatment, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, HIV)
    • People with neurobiological and related diseases (for example - fibromyalgia, myalgic encephalomyelitis)
    • People with haemoglobinopathies (for example - sickle cell disease, thalassaemia)

    A vulnerability to the cold:

    • People aged over 60 years old, particularly those over 75 years old
    • Children aged under five and pregnant women
    • People with addictions
    • People who have attended hospital due to a fall
    • People diagnosed with dementia
    • Recent immigrants, asylum seekers and refugees (if living in private tenure)
    • People who move in and out of homelessness
    • Other illness exacerbated by the cold (confirmed by GP)
    • People with musculoskeletal conditions (for example - arthritis, limited mobility)
    • Households that have acute or long-term debt
    • Householders that are in their home during working hours and/or have declared that they restrict heating use due to concerns about energy bills
    These criteria have been set by us as part of our ECO Flex Statement of Intent. 

    Past copies of this information can be found here: 

    Unlike the Green Homes Grant voucher scheme, there is no deadline to have ECO work completed. 

How to get ECO funding

We work in partnership with YES Energy Solutions to make it easier for households to get the help they need for ECO funding. If you think that you may be eligible, contact YES Energy Solutions.

I'm a council tenant, what help could I get? 

Contact our Home Energy Conservation Officer on homeenergy@dacorum.gov.uk or call 01442 228338 to discuss what options may be available for you.

Minimum energy efficiency standards for the private rented sector 

Since April 2020, all tenancies must have a minimum Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) energy rating of E under the Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015. The minimum standard is set to increase to an EPC energy rating of D by 2025 and C by 2030.

A home is required to have an EPC rating when it is constructed, sold or let. This is an example of an EPC. If you are letting a property, check the EPC rating in case you need to make improvements.

The Government website provides landlords with guidance on complying with the regulations.

Our grants page has more information about additional funding that may be available to you.

Home Energy Conservation Act progress report

The report provides an update on progress made since April 2019 and outlines our plans from April 2021 until March 2023.

Contact us

You can contact our Home Energy Conservation Officer.at:
Telephone: 01442 228338