"Working in partnership to create a borough that enables the communities of Dacorum to thrive and prosper."
We're committed to creating thriving and prosperous communities across the borough. We aim to have a positive impact on where we live and work by delivering on the priorities of local residents and elected members. Our priorities are:
- A clean, safe and enjoyable environment
- Building strong and vibrant communities
- Ensuring economic growth and prosperity
- Providing good quality affordable homes, in particular for those most in need
- Ensuring efficient, effective and modern service delivery
- Climate and Ecological Emergency - working to deliver net zero carbon.
What we do
We have responsibility for keeping the borough clean, safe and green, manage a housing stock of more than 10,000 homes and run all elections in Dacorum. Our wide remit means we employ for diverse and interesting roles across:
- planning, development and regeneration
- housing and homelessness
- environmental and regulatory services
- electoral and democratic services
- finance and resources
- performance, people and innovation
- youth and arts services.
Equality and diversity
We're committed to creating a culture in which equality of opportunity is actively promoted in every aspect of service provision and delivery and the working environment. We aim to remove barriers and improve access to our services and to achieve equality of opportunity in our employment practices.
When we make decisions that may have an impact on equality and diversity, we take into account The Equality Act 2010. Please see our current strategy:
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy (PDF 331KB).
If you would like to know more, have any comments, or would like a copy of our policy statement, please use the contact details below:
Telephone: 01442 228000 and ask for Human Resources.
To find out about how we measured up against our priorities last year, read our latest Annual Report 2021-2022 (PDF 8MB) (an accessible plain text version is also available: Annual Report 2021-2022 - plain text version (PDF 168KB)).
Read our Corporate Plan 2020-2025 (PDF 5MB).
Climate change and sustainability
We have, along with many other councils in the UK, declared that there is a current and future climate change emergency that requires urgent planning and action. The new Local Plan will incorporate the maximum possible sustainability requirements that the system will allow and encourage developers to go beyond this in order to future proof homes and buildings.
Living in Dacorum
Located in the west of Hertfordshire, the borough of Dacorum - which includes the thriving towns of Hemel Hempstead, Berkhamsted and Tring, plus numerous picturesque villages - is a great place to live. There's something for everyone, whether you're looking for action-packed days out, historic sites, bustling shopping centres or somewhere to eat and drink.
Discover more about living in Dacorum
General employee responsibilities
For more information, please view our General employee responsibilities (PDF 430KB).
Health and safety
We're committed to protecting our residents and employees from harm arising from our work activities, and to providing a safe and healthy work environment. To achieve this, all staff have specific health and safety responsibilities according to their role.
All employees should :
- Comply with our health and safety policies and their team’s health and safety procedures
- Look after their own health and safety and the safety of others affected by their work
- Take part in health and safety training where required
- Raise health and safety concerns with their manager and report incidents.
Managers and leaders have additional responsibilities.
You must familiarise yourself, and comply, with your responsibilities, as detailed in our Corporate Health and Safety Policy.