Health and safety at work

As an employer, it is your responsibility to make your workplace safe for your employees and visitors.

What we do

We ensure your health and safety arrangements meet the legal requirements by:

  • investigating accidents at work
  • investigating complaints about workplace conditions.

Businesses we are responsible for

We work alongside the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to enforce health and safety laws.

We regulate

  • consumer services in shops, such as shoe repairers
  • catering establishments, including cafes and restaurants
  • warehouses storing goods for wholesale or retail distribution
  • childcare facilities such as nurseries and playgroups
  • hotels, guest houses, camp sites and caravan sites
  • tyre and exhaust fitting establishments
  • office activities
  • animal accommodation including kennels, catteries, stables and zoos
  • health clubs and leisure activities such as theatres, cinemas, and nightclubs
  • therapeutic treatment centres including massage, tanning and aromatherapy
  • display and sale of goods at an exhibition
  • undertakers
  • churches and religious meeting halls
  • wet and dry cleaning businesses

The HSE covers

  • factories
  • construction
  • government offices
  • transport network
  • schools, colleges and universities

More information

You can find more advice, guidance and information on the legislation on the HSE website

Contact us

If you have concerns regarding a workplace that is not listed, then please email or call 01442 228000 and ask for "Environmental and Community Protection" and we will advise you on the correct agency to contact.

warning signUK Parliamentary general election - Thursday 4 July: Find out how you can vote and what you need to bring with you. More information on our elections and voting pages.   ×

Page Last Updated: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 09:38 AM