Appeal a Council Tax bill or decision

What you can appeal

You can appeal if:

  • you believe you are not liable for Council Tax
  • you believe the amount charged is incorrect
  • your application for a discount or reduction was rejected

You cannot appeal:

  • the set amount of Council Tax
  • if you are unable to pay. 

How to appeal

You will need to email your appeal to We will try to settle any disputes or challenges. 

We have two months to consider your appeal. If we don't respond within this time, you can appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal Service within four months of your original appeal. 

While you are waiting for a decision on your appeal you must continue to pay your Council Tax. Failure to do so may result in additional costs.

If we reject your appeal

If you disagree with our decision, you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service within two months of our response.

You must continue to pay your Council Tax if you file an appeal with the Valuation Tribunal Service.

Page Last Updated: Wednesday, 27 March 2024 at 11:30 AM