House in Multiple Occupation licences

Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) of three storeys or more, with five or more occupants, must be licensed.

Apply for a licence

Anyone operating a licensable house in multiple occupation (HMO) without a licence or a valid application for a licence will be committing an offence and will be open to prosecution. The fine for such an offence could be up to a maximum of £20,000. 

Licence fees

There is a fee for licensing each HMO. The fees for 2017/18 are as follows:

Fees for house in multiple occupation licences
Description Charge
Licence for a standard five-bedroom HMO (initiated by the applicant without local authority intervention) £637 per licence (five years)
Licence for a standard five-bedroom HMO (initiated with local authority intervention) £956 per licence (five years)
Additional bedrooms £15 per room
Production of drawings £48
Variation of licence £117
Renewal of HMO licence £531 (five years)
Fee reduction for additional HMOs with the same applicant/landlord £53

Inspection programme 

We have a proactive inspection programme of HMOs. If the condition of a property is not up to standard then the landlord or owner will be asked to carry out improvements. 
Please see the following documents for information about these standards.

 HMO Amenities Standard (PDF 313KB)
 Herts Fire Precautions Guide (PDF 912KB) 

More information

For more information, please email or call 01442 228455.

Warning signWe will be collecting bins from roads where it is safe to do so. Please leave your bins out for collection. If your bins have not yet been collected, leave them on the boundary of your property and we will collect them as soon as conditions allow. ×