To help us to operate effectively, we collect information about our citizens and employees.
In some cases the law requires us to collect information to meet the requirements of central government, for example (but not limited to):
- the holding of information in a customer relationship management system
- the purposes of putting in a planning application.
- to administer council tax
- to administer complaints.
The Data Protection Act
The Data protection Act gives you certain right and also places legal responsibilities on organisations that process personal information about you.
The Act says that organisations collecting and holding personal information must be open about how it is to be used and they must make sure that the data is:
- fairly and lawfully processed
- processed for specific and lawful purposes
- adequate, relevant and not excessive
- not kept for longer than is necessary
- processed in line with your rights
- kept secure
- not transferred to other countries without adequate protection.
By law, we must follow these rules.
Request personal information
Under the Data Protection Act you can request to see information that we hold about you, including facts and opinions expressed about you. To make a request, please download and complete our access to personal information form (PDF 170 KB). Please provide us with sufficient information about the information you are requesting.
There is a £10 administrative charge to make a request.
Return your completed form to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send it to: