Applying for a Taxi (Hackney Carriage) or Private Hire Driver Licence
To drive hackney carriages (taxis) or private hire vehicles, you must hold a licence issued by us.
To apply for a licence in Dacorum, you must:
- have held a full car driving licence issued by an EEA member state for at least 36 months (applications from individuals with between 12 and 36 months will usually be refused, unless exceptional circumstances can be demonstrated);
- have the legal right to work in the UK, and be able to produce documents to prove this;
- satisfy us that you are a 'fit and proper person' to hold a driver's licence.
The 'fit and proper' requirement is wide ranging, but may take into account any previous criminal convictions or cautions, any motoring offences or endorsements, your health and physical condition, the right to undertake employment in the UK, and other such matters as we consider appropriate. Further information is contained in our Taxi and private hire licensing policy (PDF 1.4MB).
The first step in obtaining a driver's licence is to pass our knowledge test. This ensures that prospective applicants have a good knowledge of the geography of Dacorum, and an awareness of the rules and regulations that apply to licensed drivers. We will also assess other skills you will need as a taxi driver, including driving ability, and English-language speaking and listening skills.
Please see our knowledge test page for details on the content of the test.
Applying for a licence
Once you have passed the knowledge test, you can apply for a driver's licence. We will send you the relevant application forms with the letter confirming the knowledge test result.
We will then ask you to arrange an interview with a licensing officer at which you will be able to submit your application. In addition to the application form, we will ask you to provide:
- your current driving licence (both parts if it is a photographic licence) (if you hold a European licence, you will need to obtain a UK counterpart from DVLA before applying)
- a recent passport photo
- evidence of your National Insurance number (such as an NI card, a payslip, or a tax statement)
- an enhanced disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). We will provide you with an application form to request this, which must be returned to us, along with certain pieces of identification as set out in the guidance notes provided with that form
- a signed driving licence data mandate, allowing us to confirm your driving licence details using a verification service
- a medical questionnaire completed by your GP (and if diabetic and undergoing certain types of treatment, an additional declaration form and a hospital consultant's letter)
- a letter from a licensed private hire operator, with an offer of employment (private hire applicants only)
- payment of the application fees (including those for the DBS check, and the driving licence check)
Upon receipt of your application, we will arrange for the necessary checks to be made on your behalf. Please note that these checks may take up to 12 weeks to complete, and you will not be entitled to work as a taxi driver during this period.
Determining your application
When we have received all of the required documents, and the results of the various checks have been received, your application will be determined. Generally, licences are likely to be granted if the applicant:
- has no previous criminal convictions, cautions, motoring offences or endorsements
- has never had a car driving licence refused, suspended or revoked
- has not previously had a taxi licence refused, suspended or revoked
- has been certified as satisfying DVLA's Group 2 medical standards by their GP
- has the unrestricted right to work in the UK
- is not subject to any other concerns about whether they are fit and proper to hold a licence
If one or more of the above points cannot be satisfied, it does not necessarily mean that the application will be refused, but we will need to consider your circumstances more carefully. You may be asked to attend an interview with officers to clarify certain aspects of your application, or your application may be referred to a Licensing Committee hearing to be determined.
Our Taxi and private hire licensing policy (PDF 1.4MB) contains full details of what is considered when determining a driver application.
If we are not satisfied that an applicant is fit and proper, then we may refuse your application. You will have a right of appeal against the decision, and details will be provided to you at the appropriate time.
Issue of a licence
If your application is granted, we will contact you to let you know, and to make an appointment for you to collect your new licence and a driver's badge.
You must wear the badge at all times while working as a hackney carriage or private hire driver.
If you are working for an operator, you must provide them with a copy of your licence.
If you move house, or receive a criminal conviction, caution or motoring endorsement during the period of your licence, you must tell us.
Licences will be valid for three years (one year in certain cases), and we will send you the forms to renew your licence towards the end of this period. Renewal applications must be received before your licence expires to ensure your right to continue working.
Telephone: 01442 228225 / 228487