About Street Champions
We are committed to making the borough a cleaner, greener and safer place to live, but to do this, we need your help.
The Street Champion network of volunteers act as the eyes and ears of the community. They help improve an area by litter picking, reporting fly-tipping, looking after the environment and encouraging neighbours and friends to get more involved in community events and activities. So why not help make Dacorum a better place for all to live and work?
What does being a Street Champion involve?
There is no formal commitment in becoming a volunteer, you can do as much or as little as you like, either in a group or on your own, and activities include:
- Litter picking - we will supply you with a kit, which includes a litter picker, gloves, rubbish sacks and a hi-vis bib.
- Reporting problems - we will provide you with all the information you need to report issues such as dog fouling, fly-tipping and litter.
Why should I become a Street Champion?
- Lead by example - organise a group litter pick or a street party
- Get things fixed - report issues we are responsible for - either online, by telephone or via email
- Personal and community pride - feel satisfaction at seeing a problem you have reported solved
- Go green - get involved in environmental volunteering opportunities.
How to get involved
To register as a Street Champion, please fill out our online form below:
What some of our Street Champions say
- "We can all happily share our green spaces but not our litter - bin it or take it home. Let's all help to keep our town and countryside litter free." - Marilyn and Ray
- "The rubbish can hurt the animals that live in the wild so put your rubbish in the bin, please!" - George (age 5)
- "I'm a disabled single mum. I can't do much but I want my boy to grow up in a clean environment." - Daniela
- "Litter picking helps the oceans and saves the animals from getting stuck in litter." - Isla (age 7)
- "Litter picking saves the planet." - Tamsyn (age 6)
Health and safety
In your welcome pack you will find guidance on litter picking, a sample risk assessment for litter picking and a list of safety dos and don’ts. Below is a reminder of what should go in each of the bags you are given when you collect your equipment. Please note: these bags are to be used for litter-picking purposes only.
Orange Dacorum-branded bags
These are for general rubbish, such as crisp packets, sweet wrappers, cigarette butts and plastic bags. Please put these bags either in your grey rubbish bin, or leave them beside a Dacorum litter bin for collection and email email@example.com with a photo of the location.
Clear Dacorum-branded bags
These are for recycling, such as plastic bottles, aluminium cans, dry cardboard and glass bottles. Please empty the contents of these bags into your blue-lidded recycling bin, or leave them beside a Dacorum litter bin for collection and email firstname.lastname@example.org with a photo of the location.
Due to the fire risk associated with these, do not put them in either bag. Instead, please report them as litter, or collect them and take them to a recycling centre or a neighbourhood recycling site with a small electrical drop-off facility. You can find out more on our Recycling Centres page.
Gas canisters and drug-related litter
These must be reported as fly-tipping. You can do this using our online form.
Find out more about Reporting environmental problems (PDF 2MB).
We are here to support Street Champions. For more information, please email email@example.com