Club Premises Certificates
A Club Premises Certificate is a specific licence, which is exclusively for licensed members clubs, and authorises a club to carry on any or all of the following activities:
- The supply of alcohol by the club to club members;
- The sale of alcohol by the club to guests of members;
- the provision of regulated entertainment, to include plays,
films, indoor sports, music and dancing.
Club Premises Certificates do not have a requirement to specify a designated premises supervisor, but cannot be used for events which are open to the general public, nor can the club facilities be hired out to non-members for private functions. If the club wishes to run this type of event, either a Temporary Event Notice (for one-off events) or a premises licence (for larger events or events on a more regular basis) can be applied for.
A club applying for a Club Premises Certificate must satisfy certain criteria, which is set out in the Licensing Act 2003 legislation as follows:
- It must have a formal membership system, and there must be a period of at least two days between nomination or application for membership, and admission as a member;
- There must be at least 25 members; and
- It must be established and conducted "in good faith as a club"
The licensing authority has the power to withdraw a Club Premises Certificate if the club fails to meet all of the criteria.
Making an application
Please see our application forms page for all of our club
premises certificate application forms. You can choose to apply online, or to download and print an application form to complete.
For further information about club premises certificates, or to discuss any particular issues, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone us on 01442 228470 or 228860.