Great British Spring Clean
Be part of the pick
Litter remains a huge problem across the country, causing harm to the environment and wildlife, with councils in England spending almost £700 million on street cleaning services every year. Over the past year, COVID-related litter, such as face masks and gloves, have added an additional risk to both the public and our green spaces.
To help keep Dacorum litter-free we are supporting Keep Britain Tidy’s national litter-picking campaign, the Great British Spring Clean, which will be running from 28 May to 13 June 2021. This year's campaign is aiming to clear a million miles of litter from streets, parks and outdoor areas around the UK. On average it takes 20 minutes to walk or litter pick a mile - you can help the campaign reach the million mile goal by pledging to pick around your local area.
In Dacorum, we're looking to support and encourage litter heroes - individuals and groups of up to six or two households can take part in carrying out litter picks throughout the months of May and June.
In 2020, we had 278 dedicated volunteers take part in both the Great British Spring Clean and Great British September Clean. Over 150 bags of rubbish and more than 100 bags of recycling were collected from around Dacorum. Our outdoor spaces have been more important than ever this past year, whether it's a casual tidy or a thorough clear-up, any amount you choose to pick will help.
Setting up your litter pick
If you want to join the battle against rubbish and become a litter hero, here's what you need to do to set up your litter pick:
- Email us at email@example.com and let us know:
- the name of your group (if applicable)
- the date and time of your litter pick (any time during May and June)
- the area you will be litter picking
- Read the coronavirus (COVID-19) updated Litter Picking Process and Guidance and Sample Risk Assessment that we will email to you once you have contacted us.
- Register your litter pick on the official Great British Spring Clean website.
- Return (via email) the Equipment Loan Agreement Form that we will email to you if you are borrowing litter-picking equipment from us.
Please note: individuals considered in ‘at-risk’ groups, displaying symptoms of coronavirus (or in contact with those with symptoms) or who have been directly advised to self-isolate should not litter pick.
Supporting your litter pick
To help support your litter pick we can:
- provide orange refuse bags
- provide official-branded Great British Spring Clean recycling bags
- loan litter-picking sticks (on a first-come, first-served basis)
- arrange to have your filled refuse and recycling bags collected after your litter pick
After your litter pick
After your litter pick is complete, please:
- promptly return any equipment you have borrowed, including any unused bags
- update your results on the Great British Spring Clean website
- email us with:
- how many volunteers took part
- how many bags of refuse you collected
- how many bags of recycling you collected
- how long you spent litter picking
- any photos you have taken of your event that you would like to share with us, along with confirmation that we have permission to use these photos for promotional purposes.