Hertfordshire Year of Culture 2020
Culture is taking centre stage during 2020, as part of a year-long campaign to showcase Hertfordshire’s creative opportunities.
To find out more, visit the HYOC2020 website, where you can sign up to the mailing list for news and updates. You can also follow @HYOC2020 on Instagram, Twitter and @HertsYOC2020 on Facebook to keep up to date with the campaign as it develops. #HYOC2020
Activities and events
Coronavirus (COVID-19): If you are planning to attend any #HYOC2020 events, please first check with the event organiser and consider the Government guidelines before attending. There is more guidance on the Hertfordshire County Council website.
August's theme is all about Families and Friends
There are plenty of activities to enjoy this August, both online and offline!
Virtual Wellness Festival - Sunday 23rd August, 10am-4.30pm
The Community Partnerships and Wellbeing Team in partnership with Apex will be holding a Virtual Wellness Festival throughout the day to celebrate Hertfordshire Year of Culture and the opening of the Active Dacorum Hub.
The virtual event will showcase the new Active Dacorum Hub run by Apex, located at Cupid Green playing fields in Grovehill, Hemel Hempstead. There will be a variety of free online wellbeing activities such as yoga, dance, fitness, nutrition, art and more throughout the festival that people can join in with and enjoy safely at home.
To join the sessions on the day and for the latest news and updates about the events and sessions, visit the Active Dacorum Facebook page.
HYOC2020 competition: What does family mean to you?
Competition: What does family mean to you? (PDF 642KB) - This unique competition (celebrating Hertfordshire Year of Culture and Herts Pride) is asking people to describe their family. The winner will have their words turned into a short animated film. August is traditionally Herts Pride and entries from the LGBTQ+ community on their experiences of family are particularly welcomed.
Other August activities
To stay up to date with events and activities in Dacorum visit the Active Dacorum social media accounts @Active_Dacorum (twitter) @ActiveDacorum (Facebook)
- Summer 2020 activities: Dacorum Adventure Playgrounds - Get ready for summer 2020 at Adeyfield and Bennetts End Adventure Playgrounds, with activities such as arts and crafts, tie dye t-shirts, sports and games. Please check the link for times and details.
- Herts Inclusive Theatre: summer activity programme - HIT continues through August with its summer theatre, arts and movement activities for all ages. Visit its website for details of all on offer.
- Apex multi-activity summer camps - Join Apex for summer fun with lots of activities including arts and crafts, dance, sport and games. Check the website for locations and dates from end of July and through August.
- Open Door Berkhamsted - summer classes and activities - Open Door are offering an array of sessions for children and adults including craft workshops, graffiti style art, a Little Signers Club, pilates, a reading group and more.
- Word on the Wharf: Fishery Wharf Cafe - Word on the Wharf is back! An evening of informal sharing of our stories, poetry and spoken word.This month's event will take place in the cosy, yet socially distanced, Snug at the Cafe. For more information and to reserve a spot/space, please see event details.
- Anna's Funky Art: August workshops for adults - Anna's August workshops include furniture upcycling, rag rug making, a Pimms and Pom Pom party and Decoupage for Fun. See the website for details.
- #TAG Seek and Hide dance workshops - As part of HYOC2020, we're working with BEEE Creative, Watford Borough and Three Rivers District Councils to bring you a free online programme of dance and multi-media activities throughout the summer and autumn. The next workshops take place in September and October and are contemporary dance workshops with KAN Collective. We are recruiting a cast of community dancers from Watford, Three Rivers and Dacorum. No dance experience is necessary! Book now to ensure your place by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- #TAG community film - watch it here - In June, we held online workshops for people in Dacorum, as part of our TAG inter-generational dance project. Together with BEEE Creative, Make AMPLIFY and local dance artist Louise White, Dacorum residents created a film along with households in Watford and Three Rivers on the theme of 'play' during lockdown. Each household filmed video clips at home, which were compiled to create a collaborative film.
- HYOC2020 Wellbeing Evaluation; call for projects - are you a local community organisation or group due to start a new creative or cultural project? HYOC2020 is looking for projects to evaluate, exploring the impact of arts and cultural activities on the well-being of individuals who are lonely or socially isolated. They would need to be new activities that haven’t started yet. If you have an upcoming arts or cultural activity that you would like to be included, then contact Jordana Peake on Jordana.email@example.com or call her on 01992 588922.
For activities and events countywide, please visit the 'What's On' and 'What's Online' pages at Creative Hertfordshire or find events online by using the hashtag #HYOC2020
Coronavirus (COVID-19) funding opportunities
A number of organisations and funding bodies have announced financial support for community organisations, groups and individuals in responding to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. For more information, please visit our external funding page.
How you can get involved in HYOC2020
You can download an activity form to let us know any plans that you have, and you'll be sent a Herts Year of Culture toolkit with the logo, information and resources to promote your event. Visit the HYOC2020 website for details.
More events and activities across the county
For more events and activities in Dacorum and around the county, please visit the main HYOC2020 'What's On' events listing or find events and information online by using the hashtag #HYOC2020.
For further information about the county campaign, please email HYOC2020 Project Co-ordinator, Liz Gore, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about HYOC2020 in Dacorum, please email email@example.com.
HYOC2020 is supported by all 11 Hertfordshire local authorities. The Programme Board has additional representation from the University of Hertfordshire, Visit Herts and Trestle Theatre Company.