Armed Forces Day 2021
Armed Forces Day is an opportunity for us to show our gratitude and appreciation to the men and women who make up the armed forces community, from current serving troops to service families, veterans and cadets.
This year, we are once again unable to host a large event in Gadebridge Park, due to COVID-19. However, in the build-up to Armed Forces Day on Saturday 26 June 2021, there will be a series of local events recognising the armed forces community.
Please view these video messages:
- Armed Forces Day - Rt Hon Sir Mike Penning MP
- Dacorum Borough Council supporting the Armed Forces Covenant – Cllr Terry Douris
- Armed Forces Day 2021 - Cllr Julie Banks, Dacorum Borough Council Armed Forces Champion
Flag raising ceremony
An official flag raising ceremony was held on Monday 21 June (10.30am) at The Forum in Hemel Hempstead to mark the start of Armed Forces Week.
To mark Armed Forces Day 2021, we awarded £500 grants to projects supporting the Armed Forces community:
- Tring Together are going to organise a concert for Armed Forces Day in Tring.
- The Hemel Hempstead Rotary Club to organise a visit for ex-forces to the National Memorial Arboretum.
- Age UK Dacorum to organise reminiscence sessions
- Dacorum Radio to organise music and podcasts
- Tring Memorial Park will be installing a table for wheelchair use
- Viking Circle Fitness to organise sports activities aimed at supporting mental health for ex-forces. Watch a Viking Circle Fitness video.
- Dacorum Heritage Trust, in partnership with ourselves, will be installing a series of banners on the railings of the Splash Park in Gadebridge Park, Hemel Hempstead, and at the Memorial Garden in Tring, showcasing the borough’s involvement in past wars. The banners have QR codes which, when scanned by a mobile phone, allow visitors to delve further into wartime history and the stories of local men, women and children. They will also link you through to activity packs for children. The banners will be up until 28 June. View the banners below:
- Tring Book Festival will be marking Armed Forces Week with two authors of national significance - Sir Michael Morpurgo, former Children’s Laureate and author of War Horse, and former RAF Officer John Nichol. We've supplied copies of Farm Boy, Michael Morpurgo’s new book, to several local schools and he will be talking about this and other books and answering children’s questions on Tuesday 22 June.
- Former RAF Officer John Nichol will be online on Wednesday 23 June at 7pm, talking and answering questions about his new book Tornado - In The Eye Of The Storm. Tickets and a signed copy of this book are available through the Tring Book Festival website.
- Look out for Armed Forces Day post box toppers from 18-27 June in Hemel Hempstead, created by Yarn Bomb Hemel Hempstead.
- Hemel Hempstead, Berkhamsted and Tring Libraries will be putting on Armed Forces displays.