Funding boost to spark more than 100 new electric vehicle charging points

Person using charging point to charge electric vehicle

We've secured more than £400,000 of Government funding to install more electric vehicle charging points (EVCPs) in our public car parks.

A total of £415,360 of grant funding has been awarded by the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV), with support of the Energy Saving Trust, for additional charging points for those with plug-in electric vehicles.

The scheme gives local authorities access to funding that can be used to partially cover the installation of EV charging point infrastructure to help prepare for and support the transition towards zero-emission vehicles.

The funding covers 60 per cent of the project cost for providing 104 charging points across 18 car parks, with the remaining 40 per cent being provided by Connected Kerb. We will be working with Connected Kerb and its rapid charging partner Osprey Charging Network on this project, with around £2.7 million of both public and private investment being made in EVCPs in the borough.

Tackling the Climate and Ecological Emergency (CEE) is one of our six Corporate Priorities, with the aim of reducing emissions and working towards making Dacorum net-zero by 2050 at the latest.

Once the new charging points are in place, Dacorum will become the borough or district with the highest number of charging points in Hertfordshire, and will also move into the top 20 per cent nationally.

Councillor Andrew Williams, Leader of the Council and our Portfolio Holder for Commercial Strategy and Delivery, said: “This funding will ensure Dacorum is prepared to support the transition towards electric vehicles and will be a hugely positive step forward in our Climate and Ecological Emergency strategy.”

Zap-Map is the most comprehensive electric vehicle charging point map in the UK. Visit the Zap-Map website to find your nearest charging point.

To find out more about our Electric Vehicle Strategy, please visit our Electric Vehicles page.