Certain types of electrical work are notifiable under Building Regulations. Notifiable work consists of:
- The installation of a new circuit.
- The addition to or modification of any circuit in or around:
- Special locations and installations, which are:
- Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin
- Swimming pools and paddling pools
- Electric floor or ceiling heating systems
- Garden lighting or power installations
- Solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply systems
- Small scale generators such as microchip units
- Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets
These must be designed, inspected and tested by a person competent to do so.
For detailed information on whether an application is required, together with details on which options you have for notifiable works, please use the guidance notes below:
Electrical guidance notes (PDF 75.0 KB)
For non-notifiable work, all you have to do is to ensure installation is done in accordance with manufacturers' instructions and that it is safe. If you are unsure about the installation then get a qualified electrician to install or check the work.
You can download a copy of the Building Regulation Application Form (PDF 322KB), that you can print out, complete and return to us.
Electrical Competent Person Schemes
There are several competent person schemes for those who carry out electrical installation work. The installers must be registered with one of the organisations listed below.
Tel: 01442 278607
Visit the BSI website
ELECSA (EC Certification Limited)
Telephone: 0845 634 9043
Visit the ELECSA website
NAPIT Registration Limited
Telephone: 0845 543 0330
Visit the NAPIT website
NICEIC Group Limited
Telephone: 0870 013 0382
Visit the NICEIC website
For further information on any of the above, please contact our administration team.
Telephone: 01442 228587