We are committed to creating thriving and prosperous communities across the borough. We aim to have a positive impact on where we live and work by delivering on the priorities of local residents and elected members. Our priorities are:
- A clean, safe and enjoyable environment
- Building strong and vibrant communities
- Ensuring economic growth and prosperity
- Providing good-quality affordable homes, in particular for those most in need
- Delivering an efficient and modern council.
Where we work
Based in the heart of Hemel Hempstead, we moved into The Forum in 2017. The new Council head office provides us with a modern work environment that we are proud to work in. The Forum is also home to Hemel Hempstead Library, the Register Office, Citizens Advice and Eat Lunch café, making it a great space for the whole community.
Who we are
We have a clear set of values that are fundamental to who we are and how we behave. These behaviours help us deliver on our priorities as well as guiding the recruitment and training of the staff who work for us.
- Take responsibility
- Work with others to deliver a great service
- Be positive
- Be reliable.
Please view our Organisation Chart (PDF 806KB).
What we do
We have responsibility for keeping the borough clean, safe and green, manage a housing stock of over 10,000 homes and run all elections in Dacorum. Our wide remit means we employ for diverse and interesting roles across:
- planning, development and regeneration
- housing and homelessness
- environmental and regulatory services
- electoral and democratic services
- finance and resources
- performance, people and innovation
- youth and arts services.
General employee responsibilities
- To support and embrace our High Performance Environment Culture.
- To support the production and delivery of a service plan for the service, taking account of the Corporate Strategic Service Improvement Plan, budget, service standards and future developments or trends.
- Ensure that systems and processes are in place and followed within the service to support the delivery of improvement, value for money, performance management targets and our priorities.
- To develop, support and deliver corporate initiatives.
- To support the delivery of service objectives, ensuring that it is done within budgets and that the service delivers value for money.
- Support positive communication across the organisation, encourage constructive relationships, including with our key partner agencies.
- Understand the role in the context of the wider Council needs and to partner project teams across the Council as needed.
- Sustain a positive working partnership with elected Members and support their overview and scrutiny role. Provide advice as required, including preparing and presenting complex, quality and timely reports.
- To research, develop and recommend policies and strategies in respect of functions within service.
- To make contributions to corporate initiatives, as and when required, and corporate inspections.
- To support the delivery of a customer-focused service across the Council and to continuously improve the service area.
- Comply with the Council’s Constitution, policies and governance arrangements.
- Ensure all services are delivered equally and fairly for all users and customers.
- To be positive and challenge inappropriate behaviours and act within our policies on equality and diversity, financial issues and customer care.
- To have consideration for, and adhere to, our Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults policies at all times.