Reusable nappy scheme
Make a real change
Reusable nappies have a range of benefits. Not only are they better for your child and family, but they're also better for the community and environment. We're encouraging families to learn about why they should ditch disposables and choose to reuse.
Better value for money
- Families can save up to £500 per child by choosing reusable nappies over disposables. The savings get even bigger if they are used again by another child.
- Approximately three billion disposable nappies go to landfill each year, costing Council Tax payers £32 million. Switching to reusable nappies means that Council Tax could go further.
Better for the environment
By the time your child is potty trained they could have used over 4,000 disposable nappies.
- It takes up to 500 years for a disposable nappy to break down in landfill, with the plastic parts of the nappy never going away but becoming microplastics in the environment. As disposable nappies break down they also let out harmful methane gas that contributes to climate change. Research has shown that using reusable nappies can make a 40 per cent carbon saving compared to disposables.
- Using reusable nappies also reduces the amount of energy and non-renewable resources consumed when compared to disposables.
Better for baby
- There are chemicals and bleach paper in disposable nappies. Reusable nappies are available in a range of fabrics including cotton, bamboo, microfibre and hemp, meaning your baby has soft, breathable fabrics next to their skin.
They're easy to use, too. Modern reusable nappies are all-in-one, pre-shaped and fasten with Velcro or poppers. Solid waste is caught in a liner and flushes down the toilet, then just pop the nappy in the washing machine instead of the bin.
Reusable Nappy Natter Event
Monday 21 February 2022 -10am to midday - The Forum, Hemel Hempstead
We will be joined by local nappy library Stork and The Bees to talk all things reusable nappies and show you how they work, as well as answer all your questions. There will be a range of nappies to see for yourself and the option to hire nappies to try them out.
There will also be a reusable nappy swap. If you're already using reusable nappies and have some you no longer need, bring them along and swap for something new-to-you for free.
Find out more and register for this free event.
Getting started with real nappies
HERTS Reusable Nappies
We’ve teamed up with a host of nappy manufacturers and suppliers to bring you some of the best reusable nappies around. Each one of our trusted partners is offering Dacorum residents with children in nappies a fantastic 15 per cent discount to help reduce your waste and save you money.
Applicants will have access to a large range of nappies and expert support, so you can find the reusable nappies that work best for you and your child. Simply visit the HERTS Reusable Nappies website and complete the application form to apply for access to these discounts.
The HERTS Reusable Nappies discount is available to all Hertfordshire residents with children in nappies.
Learn more about real nappies
Reusable nappy library
If you're struggling to choose a reusable nappy that suits your baby and your lifestyle, consider trialling different nappies from a nappy library.
The local cloth nappy library Stork and the Bees hires out personalised nappy kits for one month at a cost of £1 per nappy and regularly holds reusable nappy demonstrations and information mornings in the local area. By trying a variety of different reusable nappy styles, you can then purchase your reusable nappies with confidence.
Visit the Stork and the Bees Facebook page for more information.
Visit the WasteAware real nappy webpage for more details on the real nappy scheme.
Visit Go Real - The Real Nappy Information Service Facebook Group for more information on:
- The benefits of reusable nappies
- Where to buy reusable nappies
- How to use reusable nappies
- Top tips