Skip to content Home News Sitemap Search Help Complaints
The page you requested has moved and you have been redirected. Please update your bookmarks and links.

House to house collections

Promoters of charitable collections which take place from door to door in the Dacorum area (whether at residential properties or businesses) must obtain a house to house collection licence from us, under the House to House Collections Act 1939 The link will take you to an external site and it will open in a new window.

Collections must be licensed irrespective of whether it is intended to collect cash donations, direct debit mandates, or donations of household goods, clothing, toys, or other items. Collections carried out by commercial companies, where a proportion of the revenues are donated to charity, must also be licensed.

Applying for a licence

Applications for licences must be made using the prescribed form, specifying the proposed collection location(s) and date(s), and the details of the charity or cause which will benefit from the collection. Licences may be requested for up to 12 months, although we would prefer that shorter, more specific time periods are requested.

On receipt of an application, we will review and consider the details given. We may refuse an application on any of the following grounds:

  • the proportion of the total proceeds likely to be applied to charity purposes is inadequate,
  • the proposed remuneration for promoters or collectors is excessive,
  • the collection is likely to be linked to illegal street trading, begging, solicitation, or other vagrancy offences,
  • the applicant is not a fit and proper person, by virtue of previous convictions for fraud or dishonesty offences,
  • during previous collections, the applicant failed to ensure that the collectors were fit and proper persons, or failed to comply with the regulations, or allowed official badges to be used in connection with unlicensed collections, or
  • the applicant has neglected or refused to provide all relevant information in connection with the application.

We will aim to process all applications within 28 days of receipt. Tacit consent will apply to this application type, meaning that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us after 28 days.

Apply onlineIn partnership with EUGO logo

Service Fee
Apply online for a house to house collection licence The link will take you to an external site and it will open in a new window Free
Notify us of the result of a charitable collection The link will take you to an external site and it will open in a new window Free

Carrying out collections

If an application is granted, we will issue a licence allowing the collection to take place. We will also provide a requisition form allowing the collector to apply to HM Stationery Office for prescribed certificates of authority and badges, which must be issued to every person taking part in the collection.

All collections must be carried out in accordance with the House to House Collections Regulations 1947 The link will take you to an external site and it will open in a new window.

Following a collection, a statement of accounts, showing the monies raised from the collection and how those proceeds were dispersed, must be submitted to us within 1 month of the expiry of the licence.

Licences may be revoked on any of the grounds for refusal of the initial application, if those criteria are no longer satisfied.

Right of appeal against refused application

If you apply for a licence and we refuse your application, you have a right of appeal.

We will give you a written notice setting out the grounds for refusal. You may then appeal to the Secretary of State for the Cabinet Office, within 14 days of the date on which our notice was given to you.

The Cabinet Secretary's decision will be final.

National Exemption Orders

Charities carrying out collections in a large number of areas may apply to the Cabinet Office The link will take you to an external site and it will open in a new window for a national exemption order, which exempts them from the requirement to apply to each individual council for a collection licence.

Even though a licence is not required from us, we would encourage charities with exemption orders wishing to collect in Dacorum to contact us as early as possible with their proposed dates, to help us ensure that our residents are not inundated with requests for donations.

The Cabinet Office provide a list of the charities which currently hold exemption orders The link will take you to an external site and it will open in a new window. It should be noted that only collections carried out or arranged directly by these charities will be exempt from the licensing requirement.

Consumer complaints

If you have a complaint about a house to house collection, we would advise that in the first instance you contact the organiser (or beneficiary charity). The best way to do this is by sending a letter with proof of delivery.

If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau The link will take you to an external site and it will open in a new window may be able to provide assistance (or the UK European Consumer Centre The link will take you to an external site and it will open in a new window, if you are outside the UK).

If you believe that an unlicensed collection may have taken place, or if a collection has been carried out in breach of the regulations, please contact us with the details, and we will investigate further.

Contact information

Telephone: 01442 228860


Back to top


Thanks for your feedback


Was this page helpful?

Rate this page
Please help us improve our website by telling us why you gave us this rating.