Great British Spring Clean
Are you a litter hero?
Litter remains a huge problem across the country, causing harm to the environment and wildlife, with councils in England having to spend more than £700 million on street cleaning services every year.
We are backing Keep Britain Tidy’s national litter-picking campaign, the Great British Spring Clean, which aims to encourage 500,000 people to hit the streets and clean up their local communities.
In Dacorum, we are looking to support and encourage litter heroes – individuals, groups, schools and workplaces to take part and carry out litter picks throughout February and March.
Last year, this national tidy-up ran as Clean for the Queen, and we had more than 1,335 volunteers take part, collecting more than 450 bags of refuse and 110 bags of recycling. We want to make this year even bigger and better than before!
Setting up your litter pick
If you want to join the battle against rubbish and become a litter hero, here's what you need to do to set up your litter pick:
- Email us at email@example.com and let us know:
- the name of your group (if applicable)
- the date and time of your litter pick (any time between now and the end of March 2017)
- the area you will be litter picking
- how many volunteers you expect to have
- how many litter-pick sticks, refuse bags and recycling bags you will need from us (this should be approximately half the number of volunteers taking part)
- whether you are happy for the litter pick to be advertised on our website so that members of the public can join in and, if so, which contact details you would like included
- Register your litter pick on the official Great British Spring Clean website
- Return (via email) the Equipment Loan Agreement Form that we'll send to you if you are borrowing litter-pick equipment from us
Supporting your litter pick
To help support your litter pick we can:
- list your litter pick on our webpage (if you would like members of the public to join)
- provide a poster template so that you can advertise your litter pick
- provide official branded Great British Spring Clean refuse bags
- provide clear recycling bags (for plastics and cans)
- loan litter-pick sticks (on a first come, first served basis)
- arrange to have your filled refuse and recycling bags collected after your litter pick
After your litter pick
After your litter pick is complete, please:
- return any equipment you have borrowed, including any unused bags
- update your results on the Great British Spring Clean website
- email us with:
- how many volunteers took part
- how many bags of refuse you collected
- how many bags of recycling you collected
- any photos you have taken of your event
that you would like to share with us along with confirmation that we have permission to use these photos for promotional purposes
Joining a litter pick
The following litter picks are taking place throughout Dacorum in March to support the Great British Spring Clean. If you would like to join in one of these litter picks, please contact the person leading it.