Great British September Clean
Be part of the pick
Litter remains a huge problem across the country, causing harm to the environment and wildlife, with councils in England spending more than £700 million on street cleaning services every year.
We're backing Keep Britain Tidy’s national litter-picking campaign, the Great British Spring Clean, which has now been rescheduled to 11-27 September 2020 and renamed the Great British September Clean.The campaign aims to encourage 600,000 people to hit the streets, parks and open spaces and clean up their local communities.
In Dacorum, we're looking to support and encourage litter heroes - individuals and groups of up to six to take part in carrying out litter picks throughout the month of September.
Last year, we had more than 700 volunteers take part, collecting nearly 400 bags of rubbish and more than 200 bags of recycling. We want to make this year even better.
Setting up your litter pick
If you want to join the battle against rubbish and become a litter hero, here's what you need to do to set up your litter pick:
- Email us at email@example.com and let us know:
- the name of your group (if applicable)
- the date and time of your litter pick (any time during September)
- the area you will be litter picking
- Read the coronavirus (COVID-19) updated Litter Picking Process and Guidance and Sample Risk Assessment that we will email to you once you have contacted us.
- Register your litter pick on the official Great British September Clean website.
- Return (via email) the Equipment Loan Agreement Form that we will email to you if you are borrowing litter-picking equipment from us.
Please note: individuals currently shielding, considered in ‘at-risk’ groups, displaying symptoms of coronavirus (or in contact with those with symptoms) or who have been directly advised to self-isolate should not litter pick.
Supporting your litter pick
To help support your litter pick we can:
- provide a poster so that you can advertise your litter pick
- provide official-branded Great British Spring Clean refuse bags
- provide clear recycling bags
- loan litter-picking sticks (on a first-come, first-served basis)
- arrange to have your filled refuse and recycling bags collected after your litter pick
After your litter pick
After your litter pick is complete, please:
- promptly return any equipment you have borrowed, including any unused bags
- update your results on the Great British September Clean website.
- email us with:
- how many volunteers took part
- how many bags of refuse you collected
- how many bags of recycling you collected
- any photos you have taken of your event that you would like to share with us, along with confirmation that we have permission to use these photos for promotional purposes.